Friday, August 9, 2013

homeschool

























This little free spirit is starting preschool in the fall, not in a typical setting, but at home. I have always loved the idea of homeschooling our children, since I myself was homeschooled, as well as my siblings. I loved it, and never felt like I lacked any social aspects of going to school. I think as long as you have a good network of friends and homeschool families nearby, you can totally set yourself up for success. 

Growing up, we used a variety of curriculum, but what I look back on and remember loving most, was a study where we would pick a specific event or people in history, and we would base our reading, history, art, science, etc., on that specific thing. I loved a more hands on learning approach, vs using a textbook to learn, and I hope to take that idea and use it to form the base of how I homeschool our kids. 

A few of the books I have been reading are below, but I would love more suggestions, if you have them! 

Teaching Montessori In the Home: The Preschool Years

You Are Your Child's First Teacher

The Unschooling Handbook

Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling Series (if you have a kindle, these are SUPER CHEAP in the kindle store!)

Pinterest has also been a wealth of knowledge, and I have started a Homeschool board - feel free to follow it, as I'm adding more daily. 

If you homeschool, or are thinking about it, I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I'm definitely not new to homeschooling, but have never been on this side of it, and am just so excited to start!


No comments:

Post a Comment